The low temperatures of the “polar vortex” provide a unique opportunity to test weapons (rifles and handguns), ammunition, lubricants, and accoutrements. Weapon design can and cold weather operations are key aspects of design for effective firearms. Here are some points of interest for preppers, survivalists, and other operators in a cold weather environment. With the aspect of operations in desert environments, some of these points are neglected by military and civilian operators.
1. Weapon manipulation with gloves.
2. Lubrication type and amount.
3. Ammunition and magazine performance.
4. Protection from the elements.
5. How cold weather clothing effects weapon handling.
The best time to test all of this is when the weather is cold, just like current conditions.